As in, to add a selfish and careless tinge to 決める? Here, for instance:

「ふうん。勝手に決めて、わたしに負けるのもイヤ?」

Implying that such action (without taking any other context into consideration) would lead the other party to lose to the speaker?

Thank you.

Can you explain the situation? If the addressee makes a selfish choice and loses to the speaker, would that be a negative thing for the speaker? I just don't understand where this situation would apply. – dainichi Feb 18 '15 at 0:27
  • This is a situation where the other person (B) is making plans, which, if they fail, will make the speaker (A) win the game. Both would like to win. So the question is, can (A) say that if (B) acts in a way described by 勝手に決める he (is implied) to lose ("losing to me would suck, right")? More generally, can 勝手に決める carry a negative meaning without taking any other context into consideration? Can 勝手に carry a rash/hasty/thoughtless tinge besides the regular selfish/wilful one? – cirno Feb 18 '15 at 0:35
  • If B's plans make B lose and A win, how is that a selfish action? – dainichi Feb 18 '15 at 2:24
  • Sorry for expressing myself poorly, let me make the previous comment more precise: This is a situation where the other person (B) is making plans for himself, which, if they fail despite (B)'s best intentions for them to succeed and (B)'s interest in them succeeding, will make the speaker (A) win the game. In other words, you can treat it as a tit-for-tat game between (A) and (B). – cirno Feb 18 '15 at 2:40
  • So your real question is Can 勝手に carry a rash/hasty/thoughtless tinge besides the regular selfish/wilful one?? (Both of which carry a negative connotation in my opinion.) And your question is not about the meaning that can be found readily in dictionaries, 自分だけに都合のよいように行うこと。わがまま。きまま。「勝手な振舞い」「勝手に決める」? – blutorange Feb 19 '15 at 8:43

Depending on the situation yes, it can carry a negative connotation. It is especially easy to see this situation in school and love-related dramas where people are trying to make plans and there is a quarrel or disagreement over something and one of the parties gives up trying to give input.

Aさん: じゃあ、どうする?
Bさん: そうだね...
Aさん: どこのレストラン行く?イタリアン?フレンチ?
Bさん: ちょっと洋食は今食べる気じゃないなぁ~
Aさん: じゃあ、中華料理は?
Bさん: それも別に食べる気分じゃないな~
Aさん: もういいよ、勝手に決めて <--- Is now angry/fed up

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.