I've heard people using あした (the common one) and あす (rather uncommon) to refer to "tomorrow".

I was wondering does anyone actually uses the reading みょうにち ?

Wow, that sounds so cool. You should use it. Jul 27, 2011 at 6:53
  • I don't think this really answers your question in the spirit that you asked it, but my answer is "yes, some people do." Because I'm now using it. Because I saw this question. :)
    – Questioner
    Sep 29, 2013 at 12:03

3 Answers 3

I have heard it used in formal (e.g. business) contexts. I have never heard it used in casual conversations among friends or family.

This is what you might expect, because Sino-Japanese words like みょうにち do tend to have a more formal feel than native Japanese words like あした or あす, when they exist alongside each other with similar meanings.

In some parts of Tohoku, the greeting "おやすみなさい" or "また明日" is said "おみょうにづ", with is a deformation from "おみょうにち". Even though it refers to the next day, I think that "お" is the same one as in "お早う".

I can't remember whether "あした" is casually said "みょうにづ" though…

Great info. Thank you. Is it just Tohoku? Jul 27, 2011 at 6:53
  • I don't know any other dialect, so I can't answer that.
    – Axioplase
    Jul 27, 2011 at 7:14

Sometimes old people do. I don't know why, but maybe they feel uncomfortable with 熟字訓読み as in あした or あす, where the portion of the pronunciation of a word does not match each kanji character.

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .