How to understand チラツ ?

My textbook gives "leaflet" as a translation. It's in katakana, though, so I'm looking for a corresponding English word, but what is it?

  • 1
    You mean ちら / チラ (=散らし), right? Could you clarify what you mean by corresponding English word? leaflet is already a possible English translation...?
    – blutorange
    Commented Feb 12, 2015 at 21:10
  • It's チラシ, derived from 散らす if I'm not mistaken. Fun fact: I had a few thousand game chirashi at one point. O_o Commented Feb 12, 2015 at 21:11
  • 2
    Katakana can be used for non-borrowed words in some circumstances. This is presumably one such circumstance. cf. japanese.stackexchange.com/q/1930
    – senshin
    Commented Feb 12, 2015 at 21:41
  • 1
    Btw., even borrowed words often stem from other languages than English...
    – Urukann
    Commented Feb 13, 2015 at 4:18
  • Good katakana life! pochamarama.tumblr.com/post/28737421770/what-is-with-katakana Commented Feb 13, 2015 at 5:45

2 Answers 2


"Flyers" > "Leaflets"

The word would most often refer to the (advertising) flyers that are inserted in newspapers. In Japan, many flyers are also thrown into your mailbox (without your permission).

It is 「チラ」, not 「チラ」. It is the シ in サシスセソ, not the ツ in タチツテト.

Finally, forget the kanji some people mentioned in the comments above for now. To refer to "flyers", 「チラシ」 is basically never written using that kanji.


Did you mean チラシ? If so, this is just 散らし written in katakana.

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .