I have no idea how to translate this sentence pattern into Japanese. If I try with basic grammar, it sounds very wrong and overly complex.

What is the most natural way of expressing this? If there is a more business version, please share it as well.

For example

• 電話が鳴ったら早く電話に出ると言われました
  • それが出来ると課長に報告してと言われました.
    Would you be willing to show us the phrases/sentences that sound very wrong and overly complex to you? – l'électeur Feb 11 '15 at 13:21
  • 電話が鳴ったら早く電話に出ると言われました / それが出来ると課長に報告してと言われました. But we'll end up focusing on my very low Japanese instead of answering the question about possible patterns to express what I want to express. Although I would never be relunctant to any help on those sentences. – Aki Feb 11 '15 at 15:31

If you want to avoid using quoted speech, the common idiom worth memorizing is "Xするよう(に)言う".

Your translation attempt is not bad, but here are a few comments:

• In the first example, are you intentionally using the plain form 出る as an imperative? That makes sense, but it's better to simply use the imperative form 出ろ.
  • No need to say 電話 twice.
  • In the second example, this それ is usually omitted.
  • Replace 出来ると with 出来たら. Explaining the difference between と and たら is difficult for me, but you can see this page: Conditionals | Learn Japanese

How about these?

• 電話が鳴ったら早く出ろと言われました。
  • 電話が鳴ったら早く出るように言われました。
  • 出来たら課長に報告してと言われました。
  • 出来たら課長に報告するよう言われました。
  • In the first example, are you intentionally using the plain form 出る as an imperative? -> No, if I paused before submiting this sentence I would probably have changed it to 出て :( – Aki Feb 12 '15 at 9:58

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.