In an email, I came across

搭載されてます機能。。。

I understand how 「~ています」can get shortened to 「~てます」, but I thought this was informal (hence, contradicting the need for the 「~ます」 ending.

Also, I found it strange to be using a verb with a 「~ます」 ending as an adjective. What are the rules/nuances of using 「~ます」 like this?

I can't provide any sources, but the expression does not sound like a proper Japanese (my mother tongue). The use of "です" "ます" in the 連体形 is rather rare. I can only come up with "搭載されております機能", a very polite expression, perhaps used by a salesperson to their customers. "搭載されている機能は次のとおりです" (the functions equipped are as follows) does not sound rude at all. – Yosh Feb 11 '15 at 7:54

搭載されてます機能

If this was in a formal business email, I would say it's grammatical but overly casual. As you well know, the ています-to-てます-conversion is very common in casual and colloquial Japanese, but that's not something you can use in a business email.

They should have wrote in one of the followings ways:

• 搭載されています機能
  • 搭載されております機能 (using humble おる)
  • 搭載されている機能

As you can see, using ます to modify the following noun like this is not uncommon.

That said, the last one is universally valid, and I personally prefer it even in a formal email. There is no need to use 丁寧語 there, and I feel that using the first form too much may leave an obsequious impression on people.

Of course you can safely say "搭載されてる機能" in a casual situation.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.