This is from one of the readings in 中級から学ぶ日本語 workbook (Ch.16), about a man who has just retired and is sitting back with a beer thinking about how hard he worked and whether it was all worth it. There are a couple of sentences in there that use the ず form which are confusing me:

There were also those terrible times when I had to go away on business three times a month. それでも別に不満には思わず人の倍働き、今日定年を迎えたのだ。

I'm guessing it means something like, 'Yet, without being aware of my dissatisfaction, and working twice as hard as others(?), today I welcome in my retirement.' But I'm not sure if 別に不満には思わず modifies 人 as in 'a person who is dissatisfied without knowing', or if there are three clauses in there 1) not realising my(?) dissatisfaction, 2) working twice as hard as a normal person (??), 3) welcome in my retirement.

I would think 'I'm quitting! But if I quit, what could I do? The world is a tough place, I have to support my family.' These thoughts troubled me. だれにも言わず、だれにも言えず、苦しんだ。

Does this mean 'Not telling anyone, and not being able to tell anyone, I suffered through it'?

• ず is similar to ない, but it's used more in writting other than daily speaking. So 言わない and 言わず has similar meaning. – Eric Wang Feb 10 '15 at 18:43
  • Can I ask where those translations came from? edit: Never mind, it's probably just because you didn't post the rest of it and I somehow thought that they wrote that as the translation of the below line. – bobbinonzeocean Feb 10 '15 at 20:18

Sorry but both Eric Wang and e2r2i2k2 are incorrect. 言わず is similar to 言わないで, not 言わない (unless it's placed at the end of a sentence). And this 思わず is a negative adverbial which modifies 働き. ず never modifies a noun.

ず ≒ ずに ≒ ないで
( 思わず = negative of 思い )≒ 思わずに ≒ ( 思わないで = negative of 思って )

So the sentence means: "Having worked twice as hard as others without feeling unhappy in particular, today I'm having the day of retirement".

Additional info: When modifying a noun, "-ぬ" is used. It is the attributive form for "-ず" in old Japanese, and it is still in use, especially in fixed expressions. E.g. "思わぬ" (unexpected) as in "思わぬ収穫"(unexpected harvest[figurative]), "取らぬ狸の皮算用" etc. "別に不満には思わぬ人" would mean "people who don't/didn't feel unhappy in particular". It has some old-fashioned atomosphere however, and today, it is more common to use "-ない" instead. (Expect for fixed expressions -- you can't say "取らない狸".) – Yosh Feb 11 '15 at 6:19
  • @isayamag Can you also help to explain difference between and ずに, when to use each. – Eric Wang Feb 11 '15 at 9:12
    Well, you can think these three words (ず/ずに/ないで) almost identical, except that ず is formal, ないで is colloquial, and ずに is somewhat semi-formal. I mean, ずに is sometimes heard in conversations while ず is hardly heard. / To be more strict, there are tendencies on some phrases. For exapmple ~ずいる (to stay not ~ing) is very rare. Almost always alternative ~ずにいる (or ~ないでいる) is used even in writings. – isayamag Feb 11 '15 at 22:16
    And yes, unlike ずに, ず can stand at the end of a sentence. It's a classical version of normal negative ending ない (e.g. 木を見て森を見ず = 木を見て森を見ない, as you know). – isayamag Feb 11 '15 at 22:32
  • The Routledge Japanese grammar explains that ず alone joins sentences together and is akin to "not..., and...", "not..., but...", while ずに is plain and simple "without ~ing". Here I seem to gather that the two are equivalent instead? – fedmest Jul 1 '15 at 12:02

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.