I just watched the 1948 film "A Hen in the Wind," directed and co-written by Yasujiro Ozu. I'm guessing the title is a reference to a Japanese proverb or traditional metaphor. Does anyone recognize it? Does anyone know what it means? (I don't speak or read Japanese, but Wikipedia has the following translation in Japanese characters: 風の中の牝鶏【めんどり】.)

• The English title is a direct translation of the Japanese title, fwiw. – senshin Feb 8 '15 at 7:01
    The only proverb I could think of that contains "hen" in it is 「雌鶏歌えば家滅ぶ。」 but I have no idea if it has anything to do with the film title as I have never seen the film myself. – l'électeur Feb 8 '15 at 14:01
  • I don't think there's another obvious proverb on which this film was based, either. – naruto Feb 9 '15 at 2:48
  • L'electeur: Thank you for responding. Unfortunately, I don't read or speak Japanese, so could you – or whoever happens to be reading this at the moment – respond with an English translation of 「雌鶏歌えば家滅ぶ。」? Thanks, Ron Stringer – Ron Stringer Feb 9 '15 at 7:33
    Literally, it means "If the hen sings, the home will perish." Figuratively, it means that if the wife gains more power than the husband, their home will be ruined. – l'électeur Feb 9 '15 at 14:06

It doesn't seem to be based on a proverb or expression. (Maybe there's a hint that the husband is a "weathercock" (cock in the wind) -- opportunistic, unprincipled ... .)

The first thing the heroin Tokiko did was to sell her wardrobe one by one -- she had to pluck her feathers like a hen. Then she had to be plucky and strong in the cold wind.

As the following comment says, the title may refer to the women in general at the time. I suppose that when the movie came out, the meaning of the title was obvious to the general public.

http://ameblo.jp/jahyon2002/entry-10937011475.html

1. タイトルの意味 -- おっしゃる通り、風の中の牝鶏はヒロインの事であり、 不本意な形で自立を余儀無くされた女性全般なのでしょうね。
| improve this answer | |

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.