I searched every translation site I could find, and I can't make sense of what it's supposed to mean. I know 看板親父 is some kind of chef in a restaurant, but what do you called it in English?

Translation sites (or even big paper dictionaries) would not work with 「[看板親父]{かんばんおやじ}」 because it is not an established term.

The well-established term instead is 「[看板娘]{かんばんむすめ}」, which refers to a pretty girl store clerk that draws many (male) customers. 「看板」 originally meant a "signboard" but also has another meaning of "draw" or "attraction". 「娘」 means a "young girl" or "daughter". So a 看板娘 is often the business owner's own daughter.

「看板親父」, therefore, is a coined parody that plays on the original phrase 「看板娘」 and it would refer to a male owner or employee of character who attracts many customers.

If it is a chef that is being referred to as a 看板親父, how about a "star chef" for a translation?

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.