I want to say "many Dutch (go by | take the | use the ) bike". (or car,...)

I've come up with:

おおぜいのオランダ人は自転車{じてんしゃ}で行{い}きます。

and

おおぜいのオランダ人{じん}は自転車{じてんしゃ}を使{つか}います。

But they seem very constructed to me and I'm not sure whether you can omit the thing for which they use a bike. But I want to omit that!

How can I say this properly?

I believe it will more sound natural if the sentence goes like this.

多くのオランダ人は自転車に乗ります。

This way it can mean "to use" "go by" or " take the" , which you want to tell.

This is the correct short answer. To use 「行きます」 as OP did, there needs to exist beforehand a mutual understnding between the speaker and listener (or writer and reader) as to exactly where the Dutch are going. – l'électeur Feb 6 '15 at 2:29
    Or more natural construction may be オランダでは自転車に乗る人が多いです, though this is stating about the Netherlands, not Dutch people. – isayamag Feb 6 '15 at 2:47

Both ”大勢のオランダ人は自転車で行きます” and ”大勢のオランダ人は自転車で行きます" are right as the direct translation of “Many Dutch (go by | take the | use the ) bike". (or car,...), but sound somewhat stiff or unrefined to me as a Japanese expression. Just as a suggestion, how about saying, just by changing the angle of construction:

オランダでは自転車に乗っている人を多く見かけます – In Netherlands, we see a lot of people riding (using) a bicycle.

オランダでは多くの人が日常 (or ふだん)自転車を使用しています – In Netherlands many people make daily use of bicycles.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.