A friend of mine wrote:

誘えていないんだ。

But aparently it should be written as:

誘いていないんか。

I think this is not a typo because he wrote two different sentences, both with instead of . Is this wrong or just a local difference.

Nothing is either wrong or dialectal about 「[誘]{さそ}えていないんだ。」. It sounds 100% natural and it would be said all over the country.

It is your 「誘ていないんか。」 that is incorrect. There is no such conjugation as 「誘いて」 in standard Japanese. The correct form is 「誘って」 for the plain and 「誘えて」 for the potential.

「[誘]{さそ}えていないんだ。」 means:

"(You) have not been able to invite (someone)."

| improve this answer | |
  • Yes.... I have a friend in Yamanashi, and I am living in Tokyo and I can not find any "difference" between us. If we have dialects, I think they would begin from around western part of Shizuoka prefecture to the further west. – Kentaro Feb 7 '15 at 13:14
  • I doubted because google give me a wrong translation, I don't trust that much in google translator but I wanted to be sure. Thanks! – Jaime Feb 8 '15 at 22:08

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.