What does the phrase 「あえて言{い}えば」 mean? What are a few example sentences?

Is the following usage correct:
「好きな日本料理{にほんりょうり}はあんまりないが、あえて言えば 納豆{なっとう}ですね。」

"I don't really like Japanese food, but if I had to mention something I would say natto."

• Sounds good to me. – istrasci Jan 30 '15 at 17:53
  • I will be honest. I am a Japanese speaker but I do not understand what your "Japanese" sentence means. Are you saying that you do or you do not like natto? – l'électeur Feb 3 '15 at 2:03
  • @l'électeur I am trying to say: "Well, I do not really like any type of Japanese food. However, if I were forced to say something, then I guess I'd say natto." – user312440 Feb 10 '15 at 1:47
  • See also: [強いて]{しいて}言えば – oals Feb 23 '15 at 8:15

「あえて言えば」is often used to mean a kind of weak opinions. Your sentence looks totally natural to native speakers (including me).

I'll list some example sentences:

• あなたの提案で概ね問題ないが、あえて言えば予算が気になる。(Your proposal looks good as a whole, but I have little worry about its cost.)
  • あえて言うほどでもありませんが、家に帰ったら手は洗った方がいい。 (This may be a needless concern, but I think you should wash your hands when you go back home.)
  • I'm curious that if 「あえて言う」= "to say something that's needless (to say)", how can 「あえて言うほどでもない」 mean "this may be a needless concern" but not the opposite? – null Feb 1 '15 at 12:32

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.