For example

この中でどれが一番難しいのですか。

数学が一番難しいのです

Is the の here used as nominalizer meaning "one" or is it used as explanatory/emphasizing のです?

I assume the sentences translate to "Amongst these (courses) which is the most difficult one? Math is the most difficult one."

Therefore I think the の here is a nominalizer, but I rememberer reading that nominalizing の cannot be used before です and we should use こと instead. For example:

私の趣味は映画を見るのです。x

私の趣味は映画を見ることです。√

Usage of の devides into (1) pronoun and (2) nominalizer.

1. 難しいのと簡単なやつ、どっちがいい? Which do you like, difficult one and easy one?
  2. それが難しいのは知っている I know that it's difficult.

And, when the nominalizer appears in the position of the predecate of the sentence, we call it "explanatory/emphasizing の".

Speaking of your examples, you can regard この中でどれが一番難しいのですか and 数学が一番難しいのです as either pronoun or explanatory の.

As you say, you can't use nominalizer の in the position of the predecate unless it's explanatory/emphasizing の. In other words, の can be used before です when it's a pronoun or explanatory/emphasizing の.

• そのメガネは映画を見るのです Those glasses are one to watch movies
  • 何するんですか? → 映画を見るんです

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.