I love learning kanji, so I thought about taking the kanken (probably level 6). So I started to look for information here and there, and it seems I'll have to learn radical names.

I'm totally fine with that, but my problem is: which name to learn ? Let's take 乙 for example: should I learn 乙部{おつぶ}, or simply 乙{おつ}. But in that case, I found quite a lot of other names: おつにょう (well, I suppose this one is only if the radical is used as a nyou part of a kanji), つりばり (this one seems to be for the 乚 variant) or れ (seems to be for 乚 again) ? Or again for 丨: should I learn 丨部{こんぶ}, ぼう or たてぼう?

You might want to look into getting a kanken book that lists every kanji for that level and its raidcal/radical name as it would appear on the test. When choosing the radical names, though, you pick from a list, so it's a lot easier. – ssb Jan 25 '15 at 23:12
  • I also recommend going through a kanken book, if all you've studied from so far is "日本語 for foreigners" (e.g., JLPT-type stuff). I went through a couple of them at some point, and I felt that they covered a much more thorough usage of kanji than 日本語 for foreigner books. (E.g. you need to know a lot more vocabulary/熟語, and there's a lot more 漢字使い分け.) – Kimball Jan 26 '15 at 15:18

Last I checked, Kanken doesn't test on the names of any radicals, just knowledge of which element of a particular kanji is the radical. The names are just for your own memorization. Call them whatever you want, though knowing a few of the common ones can be useful for talking with Japanese people about particular kanji.

I am sorry I am not sure what you are actually asking for. Take only and concentrate on the 乙, it is a metrical? or order system originally derived from Chinese. - 十干(じっかん)は、甲・乙・丙・丁・戊・己・庚・辛・壬・癸の10の要素の順列 -

Source : http://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E5%8D%81%E5%B9%B2

I personally think you do not have to go deep into 乙部, which is the system of putting words in order according to 部首, I think you will go too deep down and will have no merit.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.