I want to translate something like the following:

I watched a movie with together with my friends.
Not at all did I watch it alone.

Where the "not at all" is supposed to express obvious sarcasm regarding the alone-ness.
EDIT: Obvious sarcasm because "I" doesn't really have friends, except maybe imaginary ones etc.
The exact wording isn't really important. It should just sound like a complete and obvious rejection of alone. (If that makes any sense...)

So my attempt was:

友達{ともだち}と一緒{いっしょ}に映画{えいが}を見{み}た。
全然{ぜんぜん}一人{ひとり}では見{み}なかったよ。

I was told that this would not have my intended meaning because 全然{ぜんぜん} relates to just 見{み}なかった and not the whole sentence. So it would mean "Alone, I did not at all watch it."
As an alternative the following would be possible:

本当{ほんとう}に一人{ひとり}では見{み}なかったよ。

Since this is supposed to be a correction, I understand this to translate as "I really did not watch it alone." and not, analogously, as "Alone, I really did not watch it."

1. If everything I'm assuming is correct, why do those two adverbs translate differently in this way, that is, why do they relate to different parts of the sentence? If not, what are my mistakes?

2. What would be the best translation of my original sentence? Maybe

友達{ともだち}と一緒{いっしょ}に映画{えいが}を見{み}た、全然{ぜんぜん}一人{ひとり}ではなく。

?

I'm a native speaker of AmE, and the sentence "not at all did I watch it alone" seems really strained to me... – virmaior Jan 18 '15 at 22:28
  • Is it understandable? What whould be better? – en_ Jan 18 '15 at 22:39
  • I don't know what you're trying to say in English, then +sarcasm, then how to express the base sentence in Japanese, +some form of humor... Maybe "there's no way I would watch it alone"? – virmaior Jan 18 '15 at 22:56
  • Does my edit make it clear(er)? – en_ Jan 18 '15 at 23:17
    Do you mean that the speaker is desperately pretending having friends? And it smells that this post should be divided into two distinct questions... – broccoli forest Jan 19 '15 at 2:24

Although I'm not sure I got the full meaning what you tried to show us in your examples, I think the difference between 本当に……ない and 全然……ない seems already obvious in your own translation.

As you said, 本当に means really, while 全然 means at all. Thus naturally, the former wants to modify the whole event, and the latter, the negation. Put simply, 全然 always looks for the closest "not", and 本当に looks for the closest predicate.

Now if the sentence has only one "not":

全然一人ではできない。 ≈ 一人では全然できない。
Both roughly means "I definitely can't do it alone."

But,

全然書けないわけではない。 It's not that I can't write at all.
≠ 書けないわけでは全然ない。 It's definitely not that I can't write.

On the other hand, 本当に is:

本当に一人では危険だ。 Trust me, It's dangerous (going) alone. (i.e. "it is dangerous alone" is real.)
≠ 一人では本当に危険だ。 It's really dangerous (when you go) alone. (i.e. "be dangerous" is real.)

So you could say (a) 全然一人では見なかった。 is grammatically parallel to (b) 一人では本当に見なかった。, but not to (c) 本当に一人では見なかった。

Last but not least, I copied your example in (a), but I have to say the sentences (a) and (b) doesn't sound really natural to me.

For your second question, actually, if I were in the speaker's shoes, I wouldn't use either of those constructions. I'd instead say:

(別に)一人で見たわけじゃない(し/もん/から)。
(別に)一人なんかじゃなかった(し/もん/から)。

I still can't grasp the nuance of your "obvious sarcasm", but as you may know, 別に also is a typical tsundere expression to deny an obvious fact.

• まあ、質問者の英語はなんか以外から、答えにくいと思います。 – virmaior Jan 21 '15 at 12:12
  • Thank you! I guess I had something similar to your answer vaguely in my mind. I think it's clear to me now. – en_ Jan 21 '15 at 20:23
  • I accept this answer. If someone were to answer my second question I guess a comment here would be alright. It's actually not that important... – en_ Jan 21 '15 at 20:35
  • @broccoli forest: Thank you for answering my second question. I think this is actually quite close to what I wanted to say, good mind reading :) – en_ Jan 24 '15 at 17:31

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.