I’m having major trouble understanding and translating these example sentences.

試験や勉強で忙しくなると、どうして勉強しているのか忘れがちになる。でも勉強は自分のためにしているということを忘れないでほしい。

My translation: When you become busy with exams and your studies, why do you tend to forget your studying? But in order to study for yourself I don’t want you to forget?

My translations don’t make much sense but that’s the trouble I’m having. I understand all the vocab and grammar used but I just can’t translate that into intelligible English.

Parse it this say:

{どうして勉強しているのか(を)}忘れがちになる。

どうして勉強しているか is the object of 忘れ(る).

「勉強は自分のためにしている」いうことを忘れないでほしい。

The と is the quotative particle.

|improve this answer|||||
  • All I needed was those two hints (cheers) and I was able to come up with a better translation on my own: "When you become busy with exams and study you tend to forget why you’re studying (in the first place). I don’t want you to forget that you’re studying for yourself." I somehow missed the quotative という but I'm not sure I would have figured out the use of か as an embedded question described more in bob's answer. – Mononoke Jan 17 '15 at 17:12
  • 訳は良いと思います!(^^)v – user1016 Jan 19 '15 at 7:23

The mistake you're doing is misunderstanding the usage of "embedded" questions.

My translation:

When you get busy with exams and your studies it can be easy to forget why you're even studying, but I want you to remember that you're studying for your own benefit.

|improve this answer|||||

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.