I know 多い means 'many' but I don't really understand how it's being used in the sentence below as a noun 多く.

多くの人々がすべてを失い、多くの人が亡くなった。

My best translation - 'Many peoples have lost everything and many people have come to lose someone'.

I'm not happy with my translation either.

These references don't directly answer the question, but they might be of interest: one - two – snailcar Jan 14 '15 at 15:41
  • I'd make "peoples" singular, and the last part, "many people have perished". – kiss-o-matic Jan 14 '15 at 19:19
  • I highly recommend everyone (even non-linguists) to check out that first paper from @snailboat. It is one of my favorites and mostly approachable. – Darius Jahandarie Jan 15 '15 at 2:10

Both 「[多]{おお}い」 and 「多くの」 mean "many" but their usages are completely different.

Grammar in terms of parts of speech:

「多い」 is an adjective all by itself.

「多くの」=「多く」 + 「の」. 「多く」 is a noun meaning "plenty" and because it is a noun, it needs to be followed directly by 「の」 to function like an adjective.

Usages:

To express "many (noun)", one can say 「多くの + noun」, but one cannot say 「多い + noun」. I have met 多くの Japanese-learners who did not know this.

The correct and natural usage of 「多い」 is in the form 「(Noun) + は/が + 多い」.

Sentence in question:

「多くの[人々]{ひとびと}がすべてを[失]{うしな}い、多くの[人]{ひと}が[亡]{な}くなった。」

Your translation of the first half is good except for the "many peoples" part. It should be "many people". 「多くの人々」 means the exact same as 「多くの人」.

「[亡]{な}くなる」 is a euphemistic word for 「[死]{し}ぬ」 = "to die". Thus, one can think of it as the Japanese counterpart for the verb "to pass".

"Many people have lost everything and many (people) have passed away."

Just for reference, "多い + noun" is very marginal but not impossible in itself, as long as being predicative, that is, "noun where sth abounds". 多い日も安心 is a quite general phrase you'd hear in commercials of sanitary napkins. – broccoli forest Jan 15 '15 at 20:14

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.