How would [name]家, for example 田中家, be pronounced when referring to somebody's home in an informal or casual way? I think I've heard it pronounced ち but it could have been うち too. Perhaps both are acceptable?

I haven't found any note on this specific combination in my dictionaries, and I don't trust Google Translate's take on it (which just says か).

(There is also the け pronuncation as in 徳川慶喜家(とくがわよしのぶけ) but that seems to be a different matter, relating to family/lineage.)

Edit: To stress that I'm asking about casual usage, let's say somebody says 「ジャック家に行きたい」 on Facebook/Twitter/similar. What is the pronunciation of 「家」 in that sentence? Or if there may be several pronunciations, what is the most likely one chosen in a conversation among friends?

I think ち is only possible when the name ends in ん, so 〜ん+んち becomes 〜ん+ち. – snailboat Jan 13 '15 at 14:31
    @snailboat I thought that the んち thing was a contraction of のうち and could be used with any name, like 山田【やまだ】のうち → 山田んち, 川本【かわもと】のうち → 川本んち, etc. Is that not actually the case? – senshin Jan 13 '15 at 16:44
    @senshin Right! But it can't contract further (dropping ん) unless the name ends in ん. That's what I was trying to say. – snailboat Jan 13 '15 at 17:02
  • @snailboat Oh, okay, gotcha! Makes sense. – senshin Jan 13 '15 at 17:03
  • +1 just for not trusting Google translate and posting your question here. – Earthliŋ Jan 13 '15 at 20:26

「田中家」 is pronounced as 「たなかけ (Tanaka-ke)」. Usually, this word is used to refer to a family whose last names are 田中 or a house where a 田中 family live in. (ref. http://dictionary.goo.ne.jp/leaf/jn2/65854/m0u/)

While 「田中家 (Tanaka-ke)」 sounds formally, 「田中ん家 (Tanaka-n-chi)」 sounds informally and seems to refer a family or a house of a speakers friend.

A kanji word 「田中家」 is almost always pronounced as 「たなかけ」, but there are shops or restaurants whose name is 「田中家 (たなかや, Tanaka-ya)」, e.g. http://www.tanakaya1863.co.jp/. I cannot find other readings (and meanings) of 田中家 by Google.

「徳川慶喜家」 means a family line originating from 徳川慶喜. Just like this, in some context, 「田中家」 also means a family line of Mr. 田中.

Edit: On my experience in Japanese (30+ years), when I have a conversation among friends, I say 「ジャックん家に行きたい (じゃっくんちにいきたい)」.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.