What's the meaning of 普段ならまだしも、さすがに今は少しばかり状況が違う

「って、ヴェル!?」

思い切り、まるで飛び付くように抱きついてくるヴェル。

「み、みんな見てますけれどもっ」

普段ならまだしも、さすがに今は少しばかり状況が違う。俺の叫びで気がついたのか、ヴェルは周囲をそっと見回した。

The two possible definitions that I think could match this usage from Daijisen's

1. あることを認めはするが、特定の条件下では、それと相反する感情を抱くさま。そうは言うものの。それはそうだが、やはり。「味はよいが、これだけ多いと さすがに 飽きる」「非はこちらにあるが、一方的に責められると さすがに 腹が立つ」
  2. 予想・期待したことを、事実として納得するさま。また、その事実に改めて感心するさま。なるほど、やはり。「一人暮らしは さすがに 寂しい」「 さすがに (は)ベテランだ」

Part of my confusion stems from the nuance of まだしも. The definition from link says まだを強めた言い方。よくもないがそれでも

My intuition makes me feel like it's the first usage because the second one doesn't sound quite right. he says that under normal circumstances that it "wouldn't be that big of a deal/he wouldn't have minded that much / etc." but that the current situation is a bit different than normal ( referring to the fact that they are currently the centre of attention of many of people there).

1 Answer 1

Your intuition regarding the usage of 「さすがに」 is correct.

The action taken by ヴェル would have been "acceptable" to the speaker, if not fantastic, had s/he done it under ordinary circumstances. This time, however, the speaker was taken by surprise given the presence of many people around them.

「~~ならまだしも」 means "it would have been ok if ~~ (or 'ok in a ~~ situation')".

One meaning/usage of 「まだ」 is to express one's opinion that something is "comparatively good, if not great".

See definiton 二-6 here:

https://kotobank.jp/word/%E6%9C%AA%E3%81%A0-435851#E3.83.87.E3.82.B8.E3.82.BF.E3.83.AB.E5.A4.A7.E8.BE.9E.E6.B3.89  

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .