What's the difference for using these?

Examples:

さんじごじゅうぷん

ろくじよんじゅうごふん

You might want to recheck your textbook or other source from which you got these - your first example should probably be さんじごじっぷん or さんじごじゅっぷん (not じゅうぷん). Anyway, the answer to your question involves a phenomenon called rendaku (連濁), sometimes translated as "sequential voicing". This answer has a good overview of the phenomenon. – senshin Jan 12 '15 at 5:40
  • This is similar to the difference in the English phrases an apple and a tomato. (as in, there's no difference in meaning) – blutorange Jan 12 '15 at 17:17
  • I don't think /h/ → /p/ is the same thing as rendaku. It's explained by a separate rule. – snailplane Jan 13 '15 at 15:05

It all depends on the numbers immediately preceding 「分」.

ん Hun」: 2, 5, 7, 9 and 00.

ん Pun」: 1, 3, 4, 6, 8, 10, 20, 30, 40, 50, etc.

Examples:

ん Hun」: 32分(さんじゅうにふん)、15分(じゅうごふん)、57分(ごじゅうななふん)、9分(きゅうふん)、4-5分(しごふん [Only number 5, not number 4, affects the way 分 is pronounced.])

ん Pun」: 1分(いっぷん)、13分(じゅうさんぷん)、24分(にじゅうよんぷん)、6分(ろっぷん)、20分(にじゅっぷん)、60分(ろくじゅっぷん)、2-3分(にさんぷん)

「0分」 can be read both 「ゼロふん」 and 「れいふん」.

Additional Info:

In fractions, 「分」 is always pronounced 「ん Bun」.

1/4 (よんぶんのいち)

3/10(じゅうぶんのさん)

| improve this answer | |
  • Thanks for the answer, it helps alot. BTW, why ふん is sometimes written as "Hun" and sometimes as "Fun"? I checked multiple pronunciation videos and recordings, for my non-english ears it's always "f", never "h" – grigoryvp Aug 7 '18 at 4:15

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.