So I am going through song lyrics, and the new grammar and vocab that I learn from them goes into my studying. One song I came across was “Wolf Boy” (ウルフボーイ) by Morning Musume (モーニング娘).

The first line of the song is:

本気になれぬウルフボーイ

and is translated to be:

"You don't show the real you, wolf boy"

Is this translation correct? Because I don't know what なれぬ means, and I don't understand how this translates. Someone please explain it to me. Maybe it's slang that I am not getting.

-ぬ is an archaic form of the negative (like -ない). So, なれぬ means なれない (i.e. the negative of the potential of なる). See also: japanese.stackexchange.com/q/235/3437 – senshin Jan 6 '15 at 21:57

As a literal translation, it's wrong.

本気になれぬ
≒本気になれない
≒(You) can't get serious.

(Side note: if you look at the rest of the lyrics, it's pretty clear that at least some of the clauses before 「ウルフボーイ」 don't act as relative clauses, so I don't think the meaning of this line is "The wolf boy who can't get serious", but just "You can't get serious; wolf boy.")

But, most song translations are not literal, and rightly so, so expect to find a lot more things like this if you're trying to learn from them.

This is killing my eyes. Besides, the question is about なれぬ, not ならぬ. – l'électeur Jan 7 '15 at 0:01
  • Oh wow, I misread it entirely, whoops. Thanks for pointing that out. – Darius Jahandarie Jan 7 '15 at 1:00
    I tried fixing the answer (and the font). – Darius Jahandarie Jan 7 '15 at 1:21
  • After looking into the lyrics, I think it is a relative clause. There are many factors hinder having such young girls (actually most of the 共通語 speakers today) use ぬ in 終止形, while It's not unnatural to parallel relative and non-relative clauses in lyrics, for at least it doesn't differ in word order. – broccoli forest Jan 7 '15 at 11:26

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.