I'm not sure if I'm overcomplicating this. I'm talking about events in the past, and I want to use relative time markers within that time frame. For example, "the day after that", or "the day before that", or "a year later". I'm not sure if I can use 明日【あした】, 昨日【きのう】 and 来年【らいねん】, because as I see it, I would be referring to the present timeline, the next day/previous day/next year for me. Is this so, or am I overcomplicating it?

Is there a separate set of words for talking about relative time in the past, or is this something that is simply understood from context?

There are a few ways to express this.

You can use 翌{よく} as in:

翌年{よくとし}(orよくねん)

翌月{よくげつ}

翌週{よくしゅう}

翌日{よくじつ}

These means year, month, week, day, following a particular point in time.

Other ways are to use 次の〇 or 前の〇 as in:

次{つぎ}の年{とし} or 前{まえ}の年{とし} (前年{ぜんねん} for more of a 熟語{じゅくご} feel)
  • Nice tips about 次【次】 and 前【まえ】, though I don't quite understand what 翌 is meant to mean in this context. – Lou Jan 6 '15 at 21:27
    翌just means "following". So 翌日{よくじつ} is "the following day". Here is an example I pulled from alc: 過去最高気温となるカ氏65度を記録した月曜日に続き、翌日には気温が氷点下まで落ち込み大きな積雪となったことで、地域の2校が休校となりました。 After a record high of 65 degrees Fahrenheit on Monday, temperatures plummeted [slipped] to sub-zero levels the following day, causing two local schools to close due to the large snow accumulation. – user224579 Jan 6 '15 at 21:44
  • (Sorry for the ugly entry..no formatting in comments..) – user224579 Jan 6 '15 at 21:45

Past Perspective:

Formal

As usual, expect to hear lots of "on" sounds.

Preceding time: 「[前]{ぜん} + time word」 [前年]{ぜんねん}、[前月]{ぜんげつ}、[前週]{ぜんしゅう}、[前日]{ぜんじつ}

Succeeding time: 「[翌]{よく} + time word」  [翌年]{よくねん}、[翌月]{よくげつ}, etc.

Informal

That means lots of "kun" sounds.

Preceding time: 「(その)[前]{まえ}の + time word」 (その)[前]{まえ}の[年]{とし}、[前]{まえ}の[月]{つき}, etc.

Succeeding time: 「(その)[次]{つぎ}の + time word」 (その)[次]{つぎ}の[週]{しゅう}、次の[日]{ひ}, etc.

「その」 is optional but is used frequently.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.