I've noticed in the book 秘密 by 谷崎{たにざき}潤一郎{じゅんいちろう} that the particle は sometimes seems to be used to indicate that with "AはB", "B" comes after "A", for example:

…さながら土用干【どようぼし】の如く【ごとく】部屋中へ置き散らして、寝ころびながら、手あたり次第に繰りひろげて[は]{L}耽読【たんどく】した。

Is this the case, and/or is there some kind of relationship indicated between "B" and "A" here? Is this strictly a literary usage, or is it also used in conversation etc?

I've looked in Weblio and various other dictionaries, but can't seem to find a similar usage.

It is 「ては」, not 「は」, that one needs to be looking at here. You seem to have its usage figured out, though.

"Action A + ては + Action B"

Action A must be in the [連用形]{れんようけい}, but Action B could be in almost any form.

This format expresses the repeated sequence of two different actions. You do A, B, A, B, A, B・・・

手あたり次第に繰りひろげては耽読した

= "(I) kept devouring (the books) as (I) spread them open (on the tatami) "

This is in no way a strictly literary usage. It is used in daily conversation as well.

See definition #3 here (Not the "circled" 3 towards the bottom):

https://kotobank.jp/word/%E3%81%A6%E3%81%AF-576591#E5.A4.A7.E8.BE.9E.E6.9E.97.20.E7.AC.AC.E4.B8.89.E7.89.88

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.