So, I recently learned that there's this song called 「通りゃんせ」, which I guess would be familiar to all of you who have lived in Japan.

The grammatical form "通りゃんせ" (and later in the song, "[下]{くだ}しゃんせ") is completely unfamiliar to me. The Japanese Wikipedia article for the song gives 通りなさい as a translation, which is good to know, but I would like to know more about this form. I figure that it is either archaic or at least non-標準語, judging from the use of じゃ as a copula and 通しゃせぬ as the negation of, uh, I guess 通す or some related verb.

「通る」の連用形+「やんす」の命令形だと思います。 kotobank.jp/word/%E3%82%84%E3%82%93%E3%81%99-650011 – marasai Dec 29 '14 at 9:23
    I would not call this auxiliary verb "archaic" because (1) it is found in any modern Japanese dictionary and (2) it is still used actively by quite a few people as a humorous sentence-ender 「~~でやんす」. In the imperative form, however, that song is just about the only place you will hear it. search.yahoo.co.jp/… – l'électeur Dec 29 '14 at 10:02
  • Ah, I see! I didn't think to view it as 通り plus やんせ because of how the り and や had become りゃ. That definitely answers my question, if either of you wants to post an answer. – senshin Dec 29 '14 at 10:53

"通りゃんせ" is a colloquial contraction of "通りやんせ", which is masu-stem(連用形) of "通る"="通り" with imperative form(命令形) of "やんす"="やんせ". Also, 下しゃんせ is "下す" with "やんす".

See やんす

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.