Ok, so I was studying some Japanese phrases when this showed up: 新しい 机 を 買って もらいました。

The translation provided in the source material is: "They bought me a new desk"

What I don't understand, however, is the verb placement. From what I can perceive, the te-form in the 買う is used to connect it with the verb もらう. How do I know which is the subject for each verb? I mean, how do I distinguish that 買って's subject is "they" and that もらう's subject is "me"?

How do I know if this phrase means "They bought me a new desk" instead of "I bought and received a new desk"?

Whenever you use もらう, it always means to receive from someone else. It is unusual to use もらう for anything you receive from yourself:

私は自分からこのケーキをもらった。 "I got this cake from me." <-- this sounds crazy

Moreover, it's odd to use もらう for getting or receiving things from stuff that isn't willingly or consciously giving it to you:

ジョンさんは、棚から千円もらった。 "John received one thousand yen from the shelf." <-- crazy, shelves can't give people stuff

Basically, もらう is the reciprocal form of くれる or あげる, so that the participants and viewpoint are switched. View もらう as though it's a rewording of あげる or くれる:

彼が 武田さんに 新しいコートを 買ってあげました "He bought Mr. Takeda a new coat."

武田さんが 彼に 新しいコートを 買ってもらいました "He bought Mr. Takeda a new coat."

I see, so it is basically just a specification from the verb もらう itself. Thank you for the answer, that pretty much clarifies it. – test Dec 24 '14 at 12:50
  • Glad I could help. – YsAdamsson Dec 24 '14 at 12:51
    No one would say that last sentence. – l'électeur Dec 24 '14 at 13:10
    Usually it is interpreted as an auxiliary verb, literally I received (the favour of) getting bought a desk.. But I wonder, could it possibly (=twisting words) be taken as a full verb in the sense of「新しい机を買って(、店員さんからその机を)もらった。」? – blutorange Dec 24 '14 at 13:24
    @YsAdamsson ボールを選んでもらった "I picked a ball and received it", doesn't make much sense. Almost all natives will take it as "(someone) picked a ball for me". If I want to say "I picked a ball and received it" I will probably go with "ボールを選んで(から)受け取った" – BurakUeda Dec 25 '14 at 8:07

Your Answer

By clicking "Post Your Answer", you acknowledge that you have read our updated terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy, and that your continued use of the website is subject to these policies.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.