From what I can find out, "たっけ" is just an expression that shows that you're trying to remember something, but what does the "だった" part mean? I have a few guesses, but they don't seem to match that well to what I can understand from it.

Full sentence: "今日一限から英語だったっけ"

The particle -kke is an interrogatory particle that marks a recollection, or the failure thereof, in the case a question word appears. The particle's usage is often introspective: the speaker asks him/herself whether something is recollected properly.
Recollections are usually about the past, but it is possible to ask oneself whether a certain event in the future, or a state that ranges from the past into the present, is properly recalled. In that case, many languages use past tense to mark the non-past event.
The particle -kke often appears with -da, or its past form -dat-ta, as in the OP's example eigo-dat-ta-kke. In the form -dat-ta-kke, past tense -dat-ta emphasizes the function of introspective speech marked by -kke. Translations into English can then use the past tense, and possibly the adverb again:

何だったっけ
  nan-dat-ta-kke  
  'What was (that) again?'

The OP's example must be understood in one specific way. The example is repeated below:

今日(の)1限(目)から英語だったっけ?
  'Was it English from the first period today?'

Since the example contains 今日 きょう, rather than 今朝 けさ, we can infer that the speaker asks before class. S/He is trying to recollect whether English is the first subject of the day. In that case, the speaker tries to recollect (remembered) data of a future event. Even though the event is about the future, the past tense -dat-ta serves to emphasizes the introspective function of -kke. The English translation shows that using the past tense in these situations is not unique to Japanese.

| improve this answer | |
  • note that this is not formal. – v.oddou May 17 '18 at 2:43

It directly translates to "it was so". Used to state a fact.

Ex: 昨日は休みだった。(It was a holiday yesterday)

It directly translates to "was/is it?" When you say だったっけ it becomes a question.

Ex: 今日休みだったっけ? (Is it a holiday today?)

In this case, they both have almost the same meaning.

「今日一郎から英語だったっけ」 ~ "Was English from first period today?"

「今日一郎から英語だっけ」 ~ "Is English from first period today?"

It's also important to note that the present tense doesn't really get used with 「っけ」 for anything other than 「だ」. It's weird to say,

「どう思うっけ」 ~ "What do I think I thought I am thinking again...." { << This sounds crazy. }

But,

「どう思ったっけ」 ~ "What did X think of that again...?"

is totally normal.

• Often, to get away with using 「っけ」 in the present tense, for stuff like "What does Machiko think of that again?" you can use 「んだっけ」 on the present tense of the verb: 「真知子ちゃんどう思うんだっけ?」 – YsAdamsson Dec 24 '14 at 10:08
    It's 一限, which means first period, rather than 一郎 (a name). This mistake throws off your attempt at explanation. – Thomas Gross Dec 24 '14 at 14:55
    1限 and 1コマ are different. 1限 is the 1st period of the day, usually 9:00 a.m.-10:30 a.m.(depending on the uni, though). 1コマ is 1 period, quantity of periods. – marasai Dec 25 '14 at 5:53
    @marasai おひさ!お帰りやす!! – user1016 Dec 25 '14 at 6:39
    @choko おひさしブリーフ(古い – marasai Dec 31 '14 at 8:54

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.