As in "some one who plays video games". Could I just use ゲーマー?

  • 2
    And for game freaks/geeks/addicts ゲームオタク Jul 21 '11 at 13:40

As rintaun says, ゲーマー is the most general term for "some one who plays video games".

In its narrower sense, when describing a person, it can mean a "hardcore gamer" as opposed to just ゲーム好き (げーむずき, casual gamer). For example, if someone wants to say she's just a casual gamer, she might say things like ゲーム好きだけど、ゲーマーじゃありません。

If you need to differentiate between different gamer types, there are terms that roughly corresponds to the english ones.

  • ライトゲーマー: casual gamer
  • ミドルゲーマー: mid-core gamer
  • ヘビーゲーマー: hardcore gamer
  • コアゲーマー: especially avid fans among mid-core gamers

(From Wikipedia articles: ゲーマー and Gamer)


That's correct. ゲーマー is the word that is generally used.

  • And for plural, add たち?
    – Amplify91
    Jul 21 '11 at 17:50
  • 3
    For multiple gamers, just ゲーマー will work. たち actually makes it refer to the/a group of gamers specifically.
    – rintaun
    Jul 21 '11 at 17:56
  • 1
    For plural, you can try adding ズ (ゲーマーズ), but it'd turn into a merchandise shop instead!
    – syockit
    Jul 23 '11 at 10:34

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.