I wanted to ask my language partner what he ate for breakfast. However, I was unsure whether what I said was correct despite him telling me that it's good - I would just like some verification.

I said:

朝ご飯は何を食べましたか。

I'm unsure whether this is "correct" as in is this how one would normally ask another person what they ate for breakfast?

The Google-translated equivalent is:

(あなたは)朝食に何を食べたのですか?

I don't like to rely heavily on Google-translated sentences to verify if what I mean/say is correct. What is the difference (if any) between these two sentences and is what I said grammatically correct?

I'm sure Google took the "for" and translated it to に. – istrasci Dec 19 '14 at 23:34

朝ご飯は何を食べましたか。

This is correct. You're literally saying, "As for breakfast, what did you eat?"

朝食に何を食べたのですか?

Google is using the particle に to indicate at in a similar manner to that of 今週末に (this weekend), however, に is usually omitted for relative times. They're both grammatically correct. "At breakfast, what did you eat?"

• Thank you for your answer, it helped me better understand this. I just have to ask , what is the common way (formally) of asking what did you have for breakfast? – Nubcake Dec 20 '14 at 0:00
    I think both に and は forms are common. I might use は myself. Aside from that, usually using 熟語{じゅくご} are more formal than not. So in that case, using 朝食{ちょうしょく}. – user224579 Dec 20 '14 at 0:22
    @user224579 I agree. In this case に is "for" or "as", the only particle to fit in this sentence. は is omission (contraction?) of には. – broccoli forest Dec 20 '14 at 6:31

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.