In the anime "Fairy Tail", I came across the line 「ってか お色気代 1000ジュエル パーだわ これ」 which the translator subtitled as "By the way, I spent the 1000 jewels I saved by using my sexual appeal for this..." I was wondering what パー means here, since I've never seen it by itself before and I can't seem to find it anywhere.

1 Answer 1

Here, パー means "completely gone" or "entirely wasted", often with the nuance that the thing that is completely gone is something that you worked hard to get. デジタル大辞泉 offers the following definition:

2 持っていた金品がすっかりなくなること。それまで苦労したことが全くむだになること。また、そのさま。

There is also a definition in EDICT, but you have to search for ぱあ or パア in order for it to show up, which is probably why you couldn't find it:

ぱあ (n,adj-na) (2) disappearing completely

I have mostly seen this used as 何々がパーだ or 何々がパーになる. EDICT seems to indicate that it can be used as a な-adjective, but I have never seen it used that way.

• Ahh thanks, this helps. I was aware that often things won't come up in dictionaries when entered in katakana instead of hiragana, yet somehow I still missed it. Thank you very much.
    – Cole Fudge
    Dec 20, 2014 at 0:18
  • @ColeFudge Right, this is something to be aware of particularly in katakana words that use the long vowel ー, since online dictionaries will sometimes normalize ー to あいうえお instead (スーパー to すうぱあ, トースト to とおすと, etc.)
    – senshin
    Dec 20, 2014 at 0:19

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .