In the anime "Fairy Tail", I came across the line 「ってか お色気代 1000ジュエル パーだわ これ」 which the translator subtitled as "By the way, I spent the 1000 jewels I saved by using my sexual appeal for this..." I was wondering what パー means here, since I've never seen it by itself before and I can't seem to find it anywhere.

Here, パー means "completely gone" or "entirely wasted", often with the nuance that the thing that is completely gone is something that you worked hard to get. デジタル大辞泉 offers the following definition:

2 持っていた金品がすっかりなくなること。それまで苦労したことが全くむだになること。また、そのさま。

There is also a definition in EDICT, but you have to search for ぱあ or パア in order for it to show up, which is probably why you couldn't find it:

ぱあ (n,adj-na) (2) disappearing completely

I have mostly seen this used as 何々がパーだ or 何々がパーになる. EDICT seems to indicate that it can be used as a な-adjective, but I have never seen it used that way.

• Ahh thanks, this helps. I was aware that often things won't come up in dictionaries when entered in katakana instead of hiragana, yet somehow I still missed it. Thank you very much. – Cole Fudge Dec 20 '14 at 0:18
  • @ColeFudge Right, this is something to be aware of particularly in katakana words that use the long vowel ー, since online dictionaries will sometimes normalize ー to あいうえお instead (スーパー to すうぱあ, トースト to とおすと, etc.) – senshin Dec 20 '14 at 0:19

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.