I recently learnt that 「何も」 means 'nothing' (e.g. 「何も怖くないです。」 means 'Nothing scares (me).').

But how do I say 'What else'? (e.g. 'What else goes well with this dress?' or 'What else never dies?)

Do you mean the "also" as in "The God never dies, and what also never dies?", or in "What never defeats and also never dies?" They are different things. – broccoli forest Dec 15 '14 at 15:22
  • @broccoliforest I mean "The God never dies, and what also never dies?" sort of 'also' but it'd be nice to know both (but I might have to make a new question for that to avoid confusion) – Teco Dec 17 '14 at 10:29

I would go with "他に" 'What also goes well with this dress?'→このドレスに合うものは他に何がある? 'What also never dies?→死なないのは、他に何がある? As mentioned in a comment above, this is more of a "what else" as opposed to a "what also."

Ah, I see what you're asking. The particle も can indeed be used in a similar manner to the English also, e.g. 子供{こども}の時{とき}、あまりゲームをしなかった。 今ゲームをしない (When I was a child, I didn't really play games. I also don't really play games now). But there isn't really a way to contract also into 何 in the same manner of 何も (nothing) 何か (something).

If you wish to say also, as in, "Also, what will we eat?", where also is being used as a conjunction, you would use 「また」. For example: また、何を食{た}べる?

If you wish to use also to mean, "In addition to" or "additionally" or "furthermore", you would use さらに instead of また. さらに is a bit more challenging to use because さらに often requires you to change certain particles to も, for example さらに、水 飲みたいです instead of さらに、水 飲みたいです.

• Alex's answer was what I was looking for, but this is definitely useful to know. – Teco Dec 17 '14 at 10:33
  • @Teco Why don't you upvote this answer, too, then ;) – Earthliŋ Dec 17 '14 at 14:02
  • Alright, now they can. – Earthliŋ Dec 17 '14 at 16:49

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.