From JapanesePod101:

十四番のボールは、緑の帯が入っている。
The fourteen ball has a green stripe.

I'm not sure how and why 入る is being used here. There doesn't seem to be any clear fit amongst the dictionary meanings of 入る. I usually understand 入る as to enter/to be inside (intransitive), so the stripe instead of the ball being the subject of 入る seems a bit weird - shouldn't the ball be "inside" the stripe?

According to a 大辞林, “入る (はいる)” also means that something exists on something else. Thus, your example means that a green stripe is on the ball.

The dictionary provides another example: “ネームの入った便箋” (a letter with your name on it). In my experience, this meaning of “入る” is used only when something is written or drawn.

A related example is “ひびが入る”, which is listed as another meaning in the dictionary.

Perhaps (?) that meaning could be explained by framing it as: plain/normal state --> some detail/feature is added (put in). In this case, to a feature-less, monochrome ball you add ("put in") a stripe. This is similar to how 大辞林 puts it: ある物が他の物の内部・内側に移り and 入れられたり,付けられたりして,そこにある。 – blutorange Dec 13 '14 at 9:44

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.