I recently was on the phone with a Japanese customer service representative and I couldn't quite understand what she had said. I wanted her to repeat what she had said so I said something along the lines of 'again please' or 'one more time please'. What I really wanted to say was 'could you repeat that please'.

How do I say the latter in Japanese?

• Related, I think: japanese.stackexchange.com/q/11617/6840 – 3 to 5 business days Dec 12 '14 at 15:29
  • The accepted answer in the link has the phrase I was looking for. Granted, in the link it is 'could you explain that again please' rather than'could you repeat that please', but this was the phrase that I thought I had heard before and the one I was after. – Mars Dec 12 '14 at 17:19

If you wanted to say it a little more properly:

すみませんが、もう一度{いちど}お願{ねが}いします。

This is more explicit; "Sorry but can you please say that again?". I would use this if I couldn't understand one piece of the conversation.

or

すみません。声{こえ}が/お電話{でんわ}が遠{とお}いようなのですが。

This is a soft or roundabout way of asking the other person to repeat themselves. I usually use this if the person in general is hard to understand or there is light static on the line. It would be a cue for the other person to speak up or speak more clearly.

• The first phrase you mentioned is exactly what I said. I guess what I said was ok then? – Mars Dec 11 '14 at 17:39
  • For sure! I think this can be used in many situations, whether you are a customer on the phone or you are in a more business setting. – user224579 Dec 11 '14 at 17:44
もう一度言ってくれませんか?

...will work just fine. If you want to go really colloquial but somewhat challenging:

はい? 

Elegant, but requires the right intonation. You have to make it sound like a question. There are other ways, such as "sorry, I couldn't hear you", or "Sorry, the signal is bad..." Another cheat I use all the time is built on the concept of repeating everything the other side says on a business call in Japan (and adding ということですね as a suffix). If you're in the right ballpark, just throw out something as a guess. If you're wrong, they'll tell you again (and hopefully clearer/slower). The caveat is that w/ customer service, they will always speak keigo which can be a nightmare for a while.

• This did occur to me, but I really thought there was another phrase for it. – Mars Dec 11 '14 at 17:09

To a customer rep. I would say: すみませんが、先ほどのを聞き取れませんでした。もう一度お願いできませんか。

If I was a customer rep. talking to a customer for e.g., I might be more polite and say something like: 申し訳ございません、お電話が遠いようなのですが。もう一度お願いできませんでしょうか。

もう一度説明してくれますか? is what I was looking for.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.