I recently was on the phone with a Japanese customer service representative and I couldn't quite understand what she had said. I wanted her to repeat what she had said so I said something along the lines of 'again please' or 'one more time please'. What I really wanted to say was 'could you repeat that please'.

How do I say the latter in Japanese?

• Related, I think: japanese.stackexchange.com/q/11617/6840 Dec 12, 2014 at 15:29
  • The accepted answer in the link has the phrase I was looking for. Granted, in the link it is 'could you explain that again please' rather than'could you repeat that please', but this was the phrase that I thought I had heard before and the one I was after.
    – Mars
    Dec 12, 2014 at 17:19

4 Answers 4

If you wanted to say it a little more properly:

すみませんが、もう一度{いちど}お願{ねが}いします。

This is more explicit; "Sorry but can you please say that again?". I would use this if I couldn't understand one piece of the conversation.

or

すみません。声{こえ}が/お電話{でんわ}が遠{とお}いようなのですが。

This is a soft or roundabout way of asking the other person to repeat themselves. I usually use this if the person in general is hard to understand or there is light static on the line. It would be a cue for the other person to speak up or speak more clearly.

• The first phrase you mentioned is exactly what I said. I guess what I said was ok then?
    – Mars
    Dec 11, 2014 at 17:39
  • For sure! I think this can be used in many situations, whether you are a customer on the phone or you are in a more business setting.
    – user224579
    Dec 11, 2014 at 17:44
もう一度言ってくれませんか?

...will work just fine. If you want to go really colloquial but somewhat challenging:

はい? 

Elegant, but requires the right intonation. You have to make it sound like a question. There are other ways, such as "sorry, I couldn't hear you", or "Sorry, the signal is bad..." Another cheat I use all the time is built on the concept of repeating everything the other side says on a business call in Japan (and adding ということですね as a suffix). If you're in the right ballpark, just throw out something as a guess. If you're wrong, they'll tell you again (and hopefully clearer/slower). The caveat is that w/ customer service, they will always speak keigo which can be a nightmare for a while.

• This did occur to me, but I really thought there was another phrase for it.
    – Mars
    Dec 11, 2014 at 17:09

To a customer rep. I would say: すみませんが、先ほどのを聞き取れませんでした。もう一度お願いできませんか。

If I was a customer rep. talking to a customer for e.g., I might be more polite and say something like: 申し訳ございません、お電話が遠いようなのですが。もう一度お願いできませんでしょうか。

もう一度説明してくれますか? is what I was looking for.

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .