I am going through some Kanji and I was looking for the usage of 召す when I came across the following translation (from jisho.org):

1: (Honorific or respectful language) to call; to invite; to send for; to summon;

2: to eat; to drink;

3: to put on; to wear;

4: to ride;

5: to catch (a cold); to take (a bath); to tickle (one's fancy); to put on (years); to commit (seppuku);

6: to do;

7: (Archaism) honorific suffix used after the -masu stem of a verb

I think I understand 2: 召し上がる is a polite version of eat/drink. There is even one example sentence on jisho.org:

ワインがお気に召すといいのですが。= I hope the wine is to your taste.

(I think the English translation is not grammatical but I guess the meaning is clear)

But I'm unclear about the other meanings. Could someone provide example sentences on how I can use 召す?

• Addendum: Can you say "I ride a bicycle to work" = "会社に自転車を召して通います"? I doubt it. Or "I am wearing sweater" = "セータを召しています"? Commented Dec 7, 2014 at 7:22
  • The kotobank entry for 召す has examples. Commented Dec 7, 2014 at 7:33
  • One sure thing is you never use 召す in your own action, because it's an honorific. セーターを召しています might well describe a third person wearing sweater. Commented Dec 7, 2014 at 10:17
  • As an aside, the English ("I hope the wine is to your taste") is perfectly grammatical. See Google Books for a few more examples of this pattern.
    – user1478
    Commented Dec 7, 2014 at 11:53

1 Answer 1

1: (Honorific or respectful language) to call; to invite; to send for; to summon;

父は今年の4月、天に召されました。My father passed away in April.

2: to eat; to drink;

どうぞ、遠慮なくお召し上がりください。Do help yourself.

3: to put on; to wear;

その女性はお着物を召されていました。The lady was wearing kimono.

4: to ride;
???

5: to catch (a cold); to take (a bath); to tickle (one's fancy); to put on (years); to commit (seppuku);

お風邪を召されたようですね。You seem to have caught a cold.
お気に召しますか。Do you like it?
お年を召したご婦人 an old lady

6: to do;
???

7: (Archaism) honorific suffix used after the -masu stem of a verb
???

This is all I can think of. Sorry!

• There is an "Victorian" usage of お車を召す. Commented Dec 8, 2014 at 0:10
  • へ~~・・・古い表現ですかね?
    – user1016
    Commented Dec 8, 2014 at 5:36
  • 何でしょうね。遊ばせ言葉のようなものかもしれないです。検索すると日本語の教科書とおぼしき用例がたくさん出るんですが…(ー_ー) Commented Dec 9, 2014 at 9:11

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .