Here are kanji variants:

• 海 (as an image: enter image description here)

In case it does not display correctly for you, the first kanji is unicode U+FA45.

Is considered a variant of the much more common ? Or, are and just considered mutual variants of each other?

More broadly, do you say that the most frequently used version of a kanji with a variant is "the" kanji? And that the kanji that is much less frequently used is the variant?

Also: What about rare cases such as and , both of which are very frequently used?

In Japanese, 海 (with two dots) is considered an old variant, whereas 海 is the (current) standard. – Zhen Lin Dec 6 '14 at 16:14
  • I think that's mostly opinion-based, like the situation with dialects: Is there a Standard (Japanese/English/German/...) and dialects of it; or are they all just dialects? Fact is that 海 is a lot more common, and that it would look funny if you used the variant form without a reason. For that reason, you might consider it "the" (proper) kanji (form), but imo that is non-objective. – blutorange Dec 6 '14 at 17:36
  • I think for most of them they are simplified Chinese versus non-simplified. Current standards in Japanese are the simplified ones. Take that w/ a grain of salt, but also feel free to post a counter example. ;) – kiss-o-matic Dec 6 '14 at 17:57
  • @kiss-o-matic No, Japanese is closer to traditional than simplified Chinese, but it has its own set of simplifications, so that's a bit of a red herring. @blutorange That's a false dichotomy. Standard dialects are still dialects. – snailcar Dec 6 '14 at 19:19
  • Regarding 才 and 歳, you might also refer to this question Which is the “official” kanji for さい, 歳 or 才?. – user3169 Dec 7 '14 at 1:09

The Japanese Ministry of Education has published a list of kanji. I think this is the official document: http://www.bunka.go.jp/kokugo_nihongo/pdf/jouyoukanjihyou_h22.pdf

The "proper" form is whatever form is in that document. So the answer is basically that the government determines the "proper" form.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.