When I look up the phrase 無駄足だった, I see it translated as "It was a Wild goose chase." I found this bizarre, since it seems like it would mean "It was a useless foot/leg." is this some sort of figure of speech that means the same or something similar to "wild goose chase" or am I missing something? Thanks for any help.

「せっかくそこまで足を運んだのに、そのかいがないこと。〈=無駄だった〉」 – blutorange Dec 1 '14 at 20:32

I believe [無駄足]{むだあし} is derived from [無駄足]{むだあし}を[運]{はこ}ぶ ("move one's feet in vain"), which is one of a series of counterintuitive idioms Japanese vocabulary has.

• [小腹]{こばら}が[減]{へ}る "little stomach get empty"
    actually describing "be a little hungry" (cf. [腹]{はら}が[減]{へ}る "be hungry")
  • [大]{おお}ぼらを[吹]{ふ}く "blow on a big conch"
    actually, "blow on a conch loudly" or "tell a tall story" (cf. ほらを[吹]{ふ}く "talk big")
    eventually [大]{おお}ぼら itself stands for "tall story".
  • [横車]{よこぐるま}を[押]{お}す "push a side cart"
    actually, "push cart from the side" or "ram through"
    eventually [横車]{よこぐるま}, "unreasonable demand".
  • [後ろ]{うしろ}[髪]{がみ}を[引]{ひ}かれる "be pulled by the rear hair"
    actually, "be pulled by the hair from behind" or "too sorry to leave"
  • [無駄骨]{むだぼね}を[折]{お}る "break a useless bone"
    actually, "break a bone in vain" or "make vain efforts" (cf. [骨]{ほね}を[折]{お}る "make efforts")
    eventually [無駄骨]{むだぼね}, "vain efforts".
    Or 無駄足を運ぶ, to make every word's meaning traceable. "2 moras + 2 moras" way of contraction is very common in Japanese, as you know, and some of them date back to pre-modern era Japanese. e.g. 藪蛇 from 藪をつついて蛇を出す, 泥縄 from 泥棒に入られて縄をなう, 眉唾 from 眉に唾をつけたくなる, etc. I think 無駄足 exactly is on of these words. – isayamag Dec 2 '14 at 4:08

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.