I am trying to understand what looks like an expression, but seems too verbose. And I'm confused by the use of まとめてみた. To put it into context, the title of this page in my guide book is ひとめでわかる 攻略チャート (Understanding the strategy chart at a glance).

冒険を進めるために、必ずやらなければならないことを まとめてみた。

In order to continue the adventure, if you definitely do the thing you have to do altogether try (???)

This is from

やらなければ ならないことをする - do what one needs to do;

and

まとめて – in one go; all at once; altogether

The final part dsoesn't seem to make sense. It's as if まとめてみた is not needed.

• まとめる = to summarize, organize (into a chart, in this case) :-)<br> BTW I'm curious where your "if you" came from... – isayamag Nov 26 '14 at 9:43
  • やらなければ but I think I am wrong... – VictorySaber Nov 26 '14 at 10:37
    Oh I see! ~なければいけない/~なければならない = "have to, must"; try memorizing this as a whole. Good luck! – isayamag Nov 26 '14 at 10:46
  • Ah I remember a phrase 行けなければなりません - I must go. This is the same isn't it? – VictorySaber Nov 26 '14 at 11:39
  • Of course it is! – isayamag Nov 26 '14 at 12:13

Because translating a whole sentence is prohibited here (in what I understand), instead I will leave some fragments of words below. So, please try putting them together into a sentence.

~てみる = try to ~ / start by ~ing
まとめる = to summarize
こと = things
~なければならない = have to / must
やる = to do (almost equivalent to する)
[必]{かなら}ず = invariably / without question

I think translating the whole sentence is fine if the answerer wants to, as long as there is also an effort to break things down, so it isn't completely opaque what happened. – Darius Jahandarie Nov 27 '14 at 4:31
  • I'm gonna mark this as the answer, partly because of your help earlier (in the comments). – VictorySaber Nov 27 '14 at 8:52
  • @DariusJahandarie - I think you are right and your words helped me understand it better. Thank you very much! – isayamag Nov 28 '14 at 4:53
  • @VictorySaber - I'm glad if it helped. I recommend you to learn elementary basics (of vocabs and grammar) intensively, it will improve your skill by much, rapidly. So, good luck in your learning! – isayamag Nov 28 '14 at 4:56
    Or "make a chart" like I said, guessing from the title of the book. Anyway, I thought at least "summarize" was not a mistranlation, and would be more versatile (than any more specific meanings) when memorized. Thank you. – isayamag Nov 28 '14 at 6:17

If I understand your question, you just don't know usage of ~~してみた .

~~してみた is very popular on internet recently, you could find ダンスしてみた, 歌ってみた. this form can be converted into した, so まとめてみた is simply まとめた, summarized.

してみた makes past verb and also has nuance of tried to do, but personally I think the nuance is "tried, but less effort. actually i enjoyed." hmm I hope this answers your question.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.