Consider the following example sentence (taken from an exercise sheet):

熱が下がらず苦しかった。

Now consider this sentence I made:

熱が下がらないで苦しかった。

What is the difference?

• @snailboat I consider the verb version and the adjective version of the て-binding of sentences the same. Like "Xをしないで、Y" (without doing X, Y) and "楽しくて、面白かった" (it was enjoyable and entertaining). They are both "and" in English. But maybe I don't really understand it right. In any case: I will change the title! – Rudy the Reindeer Nov 25 '14 at 6:25

There are several ways of saying the same thing:

熱が下がら苦しかった。 - literary or stiff expression
熱が下がらなくて苦しかった。 - casual / conversational.
熱が下がらないので苦しかった。 - using explicit ので "because".

I think ~ないで is used mostly for: ① negative imperative: "さわらないで!" (milder than さわるな!) ② in the form of ~ないでいる and ~ないでおく: "今は言わないでおこう" ③ before various verbs: "顔も洗わないで行っちゃった". In cases ② and ③, ないで can be substituted with ずに.

Based on these, 熱が下がらないで苦しかった and 熱が下がらずに苦しかった are both understandable but sound slightly clumsy or unnatural, perhaps because 苦しかった is not a verb. With a verb instead, 熱が下がらないで苦しんだ and 熱が下がらずに苦しんだ are both fairly correct (except that 苦しんだ is rather a literary expression).

| improve this answer | |
  • ② could be generalized to any 補助動詞, no? Also, I think 「熱が下がらず苦しんだ」 (that is, with no に) can still work with the same reading as the に version (in addition to the conjunctive reading), can't it? – Darius Jahandarie Nov 26 '14 at 2:15
  • Actually ないでいる / ないでおく are negative counterparts of ている / ておく (Compare: 彼は寝ている "He is sleeping", 彼は寝ていない "He is not sleeping", and 彼は寝ないでいる "He is staying up"). So I think you can say they are kinds of 補助動詞, though I don't know how most textbooks say about this. – isayamag Nov 26 '14 at 3:02
  • And yes, 熱が下がらず苦しんだ is pretty natural too. – isayamag Nov 26 '14 at 3:04

To add to the other answer, I was taught that 〜なくて can imply a a causal relationship, while 〜ないで doesn't.

電車に乗れなくて、遅刻した。 - I was late because I couldn't get on the train.
シャワーを浴びないで、家を出た。 - I left the house without taking a shower. (but not because)

In these examples, the two are not interchangeable as far as I know.

Also, as the other answer mentioned, 〜ないでください is the standard form for negative imperative / requests and can't be substituted by 〜ず or 〜なくて.

| improve this answer | |

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.