Not sure if that is the best title, but I wasn't sure the best way to word it. We all know you can say "(originally) (comes) from X" as simply X出身.

• 私はニューヨーク出身です → I'm from New York
  • 鹿児島出身の平田さん → Mr. Hirata from Kagoshima

So I'm looking for something analogous to this to say "living in X" or "resident of X". I was thinking possibly X居住, X[在居]{ざい・きょ}, or X[在住]{ざい・じゅう}.

• 私は大阪在住です → I'm living in Osaka
  • [上海]{シャン・ハイ}居住の日本人 → Japanese living in Shanghai

Are any of those correct/acceptable/used to convey this meaning? Possibly some other noun I haven't listed? Note that I'm looking for a "noun suffix" of the form <place> + <suffix>, not complete clauses/sentences like

• どこから来ましたか? 私はオーストラリアです
  • イタリアに住んでいる私の姉
  • X在住 is most common.
    – a user
    Nov 23 '14 at 7:09
  • Why would you call that a suffix? Nov 28 '14 at 6:10
  • I think the OP was aware that 'suffix' was perhaps not ideal (hence their first sentence), so they tried their best to explain precisely what they meant by it. I don't think people should downvote just because 'suffix' isn't the right technical term, since it's clear what they're asking.
    – user1478
    Nov 28 '14 at 23:23

X在住 is the closest answer for your question. This can be used like 私は東京在住です。 and 東京在住の日本人.

Also X居住 is acceptable. The difference between them is where the subject is living, which here means X.

X in X在住 are like country, province, city or village.

X in X居住 are like house, apartment.

More "correct" can be a bit misleading. Do you mean more common?

Generally you need to keep the answer grammatically compatible to the question. Also keep in mind the other ways the same questions will be asked:

どこの国の人ですか?  
出身はどちらですか?
お住まいはどこですか?
故郷はどこですか?

For the most part you'd just answer these in noun form: アメリカです、東京です、or whatever. That being said, I've found you can be a bit more liberal in mixing it up than you can in English, so keep that in mind.

Also, definitely do not overlook the more common approach:

どこに住んでいますか? 東京に住んでいます。
オーストラリア人です。 - I'm from Australia

You will use all of these far more than 在住。

• Why is more "correct" misleading? It is common to hear people use "irregardless" in English, but that does not make it a real word.
    – istrasci
    Nov 24 '14 at 0:35
  • Also, I feel like you didn't really read my question very well. I did not even use the word "common" at all. I acknowledged Xに住んでいる and Xです, but was looking specifically for something NOT those. Also, why are you assuming there will be a question? I didn't mention using this to answer a question at all.
    – istrasci
    Nov 24 '14 at 0:41
  • Something is either correct or it's not. Assuming we could enumerate answers, how would the be assigned? Poor choice of words either way. I read your question. Which is why asked if you meant more common. Would I have asked you if you meant common if you actually used that word? And finally, there's a question in your 3rd code block. Nov 24 '14 at 0:55
  • @istrasci More "correct" is misleading precisely because some people think "irregardless" is not a real word. Use dictates realness, not style guides. Nov 25 '14 at 0:58
  • @alexhatesmil: Why are you even on this site then? Just use Japanese however you want, and it will be correct.
    – istrasci
    Nov 25 '14 at 18:15

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.