I don't understand the meaning of ならん in this sentence:

早く日曜日にならんかな

Does ならん come from ならぶ? Or come from なる? How it's conjugated? What's that ん in ならん...?

The word is nar-an, a negated form of the verb なる. The standard negation of the verb may be known to you as ならない. The utterance you ask about can be rephrased as 早く日曜日にならないかな.

| improve this answer | |
    This ならん as a casual version of ならない sounds like it's from somewhere in the Western Japan (probably except Kansai, where ならへん is prevalent). Tokyoite may say なんねえ(かな) colloquially, when meaning ならない(かな). – isayamag Nov 19 '14 at 18:01
  • It's not a 'casual form of ならない'; it's a form of the old ならぬ, For that matter, Tokyoites do use it, mostly older male ones. – Aeon Akechi Aug 13 '15 at 22:02
  • @Nothingatall Please address the appropriate people when you comment. Since your comment is not addressed to anyone specific, it is automatically addressed to me as the answerer. But I didn't make the claim that your comment attributes to me. Please correct your mistake. – Thomas Gross Aug 14 '15 at 5:57

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.