As in the title: Are グラス and ガラス alternative spellings of the same word?

I'm going through a 2級 prep book for vocabulary and it has

ワイングラス = wine glass

but

ガラスのコップ = glass (for drinking)

and

窓のガラス = window glass

Are グラス and ガラス the same or do I have to be careful when to use which?

• AFAIK, ガラス is for the material "glass", while グラス is for the thing that holds a liquid you're about to drink. – Xeo Nov 15 '14 at 9:44
    I'll just add that the origins are different as well, グラス being from the English, while ガラス is from Dutch 'Glas'. – Robin Nov 15 '14 at 11:57
  • @Ash Interesting. And funny how the same word became two different words : ) – Rudy the Reindeer Nov 15 '14 at 12:44

While people will likely understand you if you mix them up, it's better to use proper one:

ガラス = glass (material)

• 吹きガラス (glass blowing)
  • ガラスの皿 (glass plate)

グラス = a glass (for drinking)

• タンブラーグラス (tumbler glass)
  • ワイングラス (wine glass), グラスワイン ([drink] a glass of wine)
  • カクテルグラス (cocktail glass)
  • ミキシンググラス (mixing glass)

~グラス = some other things made from glass, or have "glass" in the English name:

• サングラス (sunglasses), オペラグラス (opera glasses)
  • ステンドグラス (stained glass)
  • アワーグラス (hourglass)
  • Are these pronounced (in 標準語【ひょうじゅんご】) as ガラス【HHL】, グラス【LHL】, and グラス【HLL】, respectively? – rintaun Nov 16 '14 at 0:54
  • Basically ガラス(0)、グラス(0or1)i.e. ガラス and グラス or グ↓ラス. When they are component of a word compound in the form of __グラス, they have downstep before the last two moras i.e. 吹きガ↓ラス(3)、ワイング↓ラス(4). As for グラスワイン, it's グラスワ↓イン(4). – user4092 Nov 16 '14 at 6:29

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.