I've just heard many times [面倒]{めんどう} in anime, in translation is not troublesome but boring. Is it usual? Which is more appropriate?

Example: 面倒な仕事です。

The primary meaning of 面倒な/面倒くさい is "bothersome", "time-consuming", or "annoying". The phrase "boring job" usually corresponds to 退屈【たいくつ】な仕事, 面白【おもしろ】くない仕事 or つまらない仕事.

So I basically agree that translating 面倒 as "boring" is not very literal. But there are times when translators intentionally avoid literal translations for various reasons. I can't say whether "boring" was inappropriate or not without actually seeing that anime.

• Translation is so hard to do. Assuming the context of a 'robot' saying this, it's a valid translation. – sumitani Nov 17 '14 at 12:33

It is true that "面倒" implies boring.
However, You should not translate "面倒" into "boring".

"面倒" ordinary means that the problem has a little difficulty for the speaker.
ex.

君には面倒をかけてしまった

this sentence doesn't mean that the speaker made the other boring,
but means that the speaker gave the other trouble.

• I would say that if you really want to convey "boring", you should use 面倒くさい, which is more explicit. – Urukann Nov 17 '14 at 4:28

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.