How do you say

"The test will determine which university I will go to."

in Japanese? I only can figure out the first part of it, which is 「あのテストは…」

Can anyone here help me complete it?

1 Answer 1


A word-by-word translation would be:


An active voice sentence with an abstract or lifeless noun as a subject (主語) sounds unnatural. A better translation is:


If you want to clarify “I”:


  • 3
    I would use 入る instead of 行く. The latter sounds like you're just going to the university to see the campus or something. 入る is more used for "entering" or being admitted to a school.
    – istrasci
    Nov 14, 2014 at 18:48
  • 1
    @istrasci Thanks. “行く” is ambiguous. It usually means visiting as you said. When used with schools, it may mean “通う”.
    – a user
    Nov 15, 2014 at 0:08
  • 2
    I think 行く and 入る both make perfect sense in this context. This 行く would be understood as going to college as a student, not as a mere visitor.
    – naruto
    Nov 15, 2014 at 2:10
  • Could you clarify what you mean by "A sentence with an abstract noun as a subject sounds unnatural."? Your two examples use その試験 and どの大学に行くか as the two subjects and you claim that the first one is abstract and sounds unnatural. I agree that the first sentence sounds more unnatural, but I don't understand the reasoning.
    – HAL
    Nov 17, 2014 at 2:49
  • @無色受想行識 I mean a grammatical subject (主語).
    – a user
    Nov 17, 2014 at 13:14

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .