How do you say

"The test will determine which university I will go to."

in Japanese? I only can figure out the first part of it, which is 「あのテストは…」

Can anyone here help me complete it?

closed as off-topic by ssb, Dono, virmaior, jkerian Nov 18 '14 at 8:48

This question appears to be off-topic. The users who voted to close gave this specific reason:

• "Questions asking for translations are off-topic unless prior research effort is clearly indicated; we're here to help you learn, not provide a bulk translation service. See: We don't do translations." – ssb, Dono, virmaior, jkerian
If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

A word-by-word translation would be:

その試験が、私がどの大学に行くかを決める。

An active voice sentence with an abstract or lifeless noun as a subject (主語) sounds unnatural. A better translation is:

試験の結果によってどの大学に行くかが決まる。

If you want to clarify “I”:

試験の結果によって私が行く大学が決まる。

I would use 入る instead of 行く. The latter sounds like you're just going to the university to see the campus or something. 入る is more used for "entering" or being admitted to a school. – istrasci Nov 14 '14 at 18:48
    @istrasci Thanks. “行く” is ambiguous. It usually means visiting as you said. When used with schools, it may mean “通う”. – a user Nov 15 '14 at 0:08
    I think 行く and 入る both make perfect sense in this context. This 行く would be understood as going to college as a student, not as a mere visitor. – naruto Nov 15 '14 at 2:10
  • Could you clarify what you mean by "A sentence with an abstract noun as a subject sounds unnatural."? Your two examples use その試験 and どの大学に行くか as the two subjects and you claim that the first one is abstract and sounds unnatural. I agree that the first sentence sounds more unnatural, but I don't understand the reasoning. – 無色受想行識 Nov 17 '14 at 2:49
  • @無色受想行識 I mean a grammatical subject (主語). – a user Nov 17 '14 at 13:14

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.