I learnt the words 獣{しし} and 野獣{やじゅう} and their definitions look too similar. Can someone explain me the difference between them?

While searching more for beast words, I also found that 獣 could also be spelt けもの or けだもの (also written in katakana ケダモノ).

Everywhere I could find it, 獣{しし} is marked as outdated or archaic. Where did you come across 獣{しし}? – jkerian Nov 11 '14 at 5:12
  • When I learnt 原始人, I searched for an example on tangorin, then discovered 獣 and learnt it ^^. Will remove it from my list then, thanks for the info :) – Fandekasp Nov 11 '14 at 6:19

獣 is always read けもの or けだもの in modern Japanese.

けもの

Simply refers to any kind of beast or animal.

けだもの

It's only used for emotionally deprived, unscrupulous, monstrous individuals, like a murderer, rapist or barbarian. It always refers to the actual perpetrator, so for example, you wouldn't call Adolf Hitler a けだもの. Think of Chucky from Child's Play.

野獣{やじゅう}

Also means beast or brute, but it doesn't carry any negative connotation like けだもの.

しし is not used in modern Japanese as 獣, but 獅子{しし} is an outdated form of ライオン.

• FWIW, it bears noting that the しし related to 獣 is distinct from the しし reading for 獅子. The latter is just the on'yomi of the kanji spelling 獅子. Meanwhile, the しし reading for 獣 (and various other animal kanji, such as 鹿) is the kun'yomi, and this しし is ultimately cognate with the now-rare kun'yomi for the kanji 肉 -- these various kun'yomi words all had to do with meat, and the animals hunted for their meat. See also en.wiktionary.org/wiki/肉#Japanese. – Eiríkr Útlendi Nov 16 '14 at 7:06
  • I thought maybe the OP could have confused 獣{しし} with 獅子{しし}, they are of course unrelated, and the former never used in modern Japanese. – Jorge Bucaran Nov 16 '14 at 17:20

現代でもライオンを意味する「獅子(しし)」はたまに使われます。ライオンの写真をみて「獅子」という人はお年寄りを除いてあまりいないように思います。古来日本にはライオンがいませんので、何百年も昔の方は伝聞できっとライオンの姿や形などを聞いて、威厳のある獅子を屏風に描く・・・とかしていたのでしょう。日本の古語に疎い自分でも、中学の古文の授業で「しし」に触れましたが、そのときの意味はライオンではなく「肉」でした。「猪(いのしし)」という動物は日本人なら誰でも知っている筈なので、獣(けもの)を「しし」と当て字で読ませても違和感はありません。食べる肉は動物である「獣」から得られますし。そうやってリンクしているわけです。作者には作者が醸し出したい世界があるのでしょう。私は「獣」を「しし」と読まされれて感じることは、古風めいた表現だなということであり、出てくる動物のイメージは日本の伝統画に出てくる「獅子」のようなものです。だから、「しし」と聴いたら荒々しいイメージも持ちます。ネットで画像を見て、(現代の一般的な日本人が)昔の日本人が獅子に対するイメージをどのように持っていたと思っているかを、その一部を共有したいなら、「獅子舞」の獅子の頭の部分を見ると分かり易いかもしれないです。専門家でないから責任は持てませんが・・・。

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.