A couple days ago I came across the following Japanese phrase:

?度乾燥しなさい

"?" represents a character I was unable to recognize. Attempts at drawing it on Google Android handwriting input yielded 樶, 橄, 裕, 榴, 欄. A few attempted decompositions I remember:

1. Tree radical, on its right the composition of upper part of 習, a mouth side by side with something and a horizontal line below;
  2. Tree radical, 習 on the right;
  3. Tree or origin radical, on the right a day on top of a ear and 又 or 文 - that gave 樶.

Any idea what that character may be?

PS Searching 度 with JEDict led me to 極度. Could that be it?

It is 極【きょく】.

See also the (closed) question Superdry. 極度乾燥(しなさい) for the origins of this.

| improve this answer | |
  • Also here. kyokudo kansou translates superdry, but what is the shinasai there for? – MickG Nov 8 '14 at 10:49
    This Japanese is simply funny and broken. I doubt it's worth seriously analyzing this as a Japanese sentence. – naruto Nov 8 '14 at 11:01
  • I like this article: unmissablejapan.com/etcetera/superdry Wow, they don't sell water-resistant products? – naruto Nov 8 '14 at 11:13
  • @naruto is correct. If you want to write superdry in Japanese, it is much more appropriate to just say スーパードライ, just like the Asahi beer. – CookieMonster Nov 9 '14 at 11:28
  • Note that 極度 is usually used in negative contexts, like overly (「極度の緊張で声が出ない」「極度に乾燥した気候のため草も生えない」) 極限【きょくげん】 nad 究極【きゅうきょく】 are the positive words which corresponds to ultimate, maximum, or whatever. – naruto Nov 9 '14 at 12:02

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.