So I received an email from one of our suppliers who aims to visit my company and have a meeting with me, the main part of it is

12月5日(金)13時以降にご都合は如何でしょうか?

Now, I am fine with the mentioned date/time, and I would like to reply in a bit formal way.

My attempts are like:

1. はい、12月5日(金)13時以降にご都合大丈夫です。
  2. 12月5日(金)13時以降に来ていただいても宜しいです。

But they still don't seem to be really formal, and may even sound offensive somehow?!

P.S: I do speak Japanese without any problem, but still struggle when it comes to business emails, and 敬語 :(

• I see problems with (1) and (2), so I would wait for an answer. (Though you don't want any suggestions from me, I hardly know what I'm doing. :-) Nov 5, 2014 at 3:01
    Google “ご都合はいかがでしょうか 返信”.
    – a user
    Nov 5, 2014 at 4:05

1 Answer 1

• ご都合 is an honorific expression, so don't use ご都合 if it refers to the 都合 of yourself.
  • よろしいです sounds like you were higher than the guest. ("よろしいでしょうか" is OK, though)

My suggestion:

• 12月5日(金)13時以降であれば差し支えありません。
  • 12月5日(金)13時以降にお越しいただければ問題ありません。
  • 12月5日(金)13時以降であれば、こちらの都合は大丈夫です。(maybe too verbose)
  • how about the combination: お越し頂ければ差し支えありません。? doesn't it sound too exaggerating ?
    – chouaib
    Nov 5, 2014 at 8:25
  • Good answer, but I disagree with the suggestion that you can't use 都合 to describe your own circumstances. For example --as you'll no doubt concur-- this is perfect Japanese: "申し訳ありませんが、こちらの経理処理の都合上、できましたら11月10日までにお知らせいただければと思います。" Perhaps it's a typo, and you mean don't use "都合 of yourself"?
    – Will
    Nov 5, 2014 at 8:32
  • @Will I'm not sure it was a typo, but edited anyway. Is this OK now?
    – naruto
    Nov 5, 2014 at 9:08
  • @chouaib Okay, but I don't use it because it sounds a bit too wordy.
    – naruto
    Nov 5, 2014 at 9:14
  • @naruto: yes, that looks good now.
    – Will
    Nov 5, 2014 at 10:16

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .