So I received an email from one of our suppliers who aims to visit my company and have a meeting with me, the main part of it is

12月5日(金)13時以降にご都合は如何でしょうか?

Now, I am fine with the mentioned date/time, and I would like to reply in a bit formal way.

My attempts are like:

1. はい、12月5日(金)13時以降にご都合大丈夫です。
  2. 12月5日(金)13時以降に来ていただいても宜しいです。

But they still don't seem to be really formal, and may even sound offensive somehow?!

P.S: I do speak Japanese without any problem, but still struggle when it comes to business emails, and 敬語 :(

• I see problems with (1) and (2), so I would wait for an answer. (Though you don't want any suggestions from me, I hardly know what I'm doing. :-) – Darius Jahandarie Nov 5 '14 at 3:01
    Google “ご都合はいかがでしょうか 返信”. – a user Nov 5 '14 at 4:05
  • ご都合 is an honorific expression, so don't use ご都合 if it refers to the 都合 of yourself.
  • よろしいです sounds like you were higher than the guest. ("よろしいでしょうか" is OK, though)

My suggestion:

• 12月5日(金)13時以降であれば差し支えありません。
  • 12月5日(金)13時以降にお越しいただければ問題ありません。
  • 12月5日(金)13時以降であれば、こちらの都合は大丈夫です。(maybe too verbose)
  • how about the combination: お越し頂ければ差し支えありません。? doesn't it sound too exaggerating ? – chouaib Nov 5 '14 at 8:25
  • Good answer, but I disagree with the suggestion that you can't use 都合 to describe your own circumstances. For example --as you'll no doubt concur-- this is perfect Japanese: "申し訳ありませんが、こちらの経理処理の都合上、できましたら11月10日までにお知らせいただければと思います。" Perhaps it's a typo, and you mean don't use "都合 of yourself"? – Will Nov 5 '14 at 8:32
  • @Will I'm not sure it was a typo, but edited anyway. Is this OK now? – naruto Nov 5 '14 at 9:08
  • @chouaib Okay, but I don't use it because it sounds a bit too wordy. – naruto Nov 5 '14 at 9:14
  • @naruto: yes, that looks good now. – Will Nov 5 '14 at 10:16

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.