I know that 人生 is used for “human life”, and 生命 for “life” in the biological sense. But I want to express that life (whatever) is something good, something positive and I don´t know if it's possible.

• You can't just ask about word choice without providing a context. You may say 美しき生涯/人生/一生を送る, not 生命/命を送る in the same sense. – Yang Muye Nov 3 '14 at 9:21

What about いのち (and the kana spelling here is intentional):

盗人が来るのは、ただ盗んだり、殺したり、滅ぼしたりするだけのためです。わたしが来たのは、羊がいのちを得、またそれを豊かに持つためです。 (ヨハネ福音の10:10)

My other thought is ライフ in the katakana.

My sensibilities could be off on both of those since I'm not a native speaker, but I get the impression that the 和製英語 has a positive feel to it and the other can mean life in the sense you would want to call good better than 生命 or 人生.

| improve this answer | |
  • I made a litlle research and I found that in all the ecclesiastical trnslations is used いのち instead of 命. There is a difference of meaning for use the kana spelling instead of the kanji? – Ramon Fassi Nov 3 '14 at 5:58

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.