Both of them mean bed and they target the same wiki page.

I mostly see ベッド, so I guess it is the common word for bed. In which case should I use 寝台 ?

Did you try an image search? – Earthliŋ Oct 27 '14 at 23:25
  • I saw that earlier but it confuses me. Why one word points toward the other one (not only on wiki, but also on most dictionaries I looked into) when it is not the same thing ? According to that image search 寝台 is to be used as beds found in 寝台車 only, is it ? – Kalzem Oct 27 '14 at 23:35
  • Well, the definition must use other words to define it. In all cases it's a "bed" of some kind after all. It's not only used for trains: tokaikotsu.co.jp/taxi/taxi-sindaisya.html As far as I know, it's usually not a synonym for ベッド (the kind you have in your bedroom). – Earthliŋ Oct 27 '14 at 23:42
  • Great explanations. You gave me the answer I wanted ! – Kalzem Oct 27 '14 at 23:51

(Note that 寝る doesn't necessarily imply sleeping, but can mean "to lie down".)

寝台 is just what it says: an elevated platform (台) for lying down / sleeping (寝) and usually refers to the "bed"s in couchette/sleeping cars in trains (or buses, ships, etc.).

Thank you for the upvote. Just so you know, you could wait a couple of hours/days before accepting it to see if anyone can improve on this answer. (We have a number of native speakers active on this site, which often post great answers to all sorts of questions.) – Earthliŋ Oct 28 '14 at 0:14

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.