In the manga Yotsubato, the main character Yotsuba's father says 「ジャンボが二人分働くしな」. I understand the sentence as a whole, I think, but I don't understand the しな at the end.

Here's the full dialogue:

よつば:ジャンボ、しばらく見ないうちにまた大きくなった!
ジャンボ:お?どこでおぼえたそのセリフ
お父さん:まあいいか。ジャンボが二人分働くしな

Do you think you could ask your ~てくれ question separately? We'd like to keep things to one question per question here on Stack Exchange.
    – user1478
    Oct 27, 2014 at 15:04
  • I'll just remove it as it's already been answered.
    – Daniel
    Oct 27, 2014 at 15:08
  • Who or what is よつば? Are they really relevant to the question? Please edit the title to indicate what you're actually asking about.
    – istrasci
    Oct 27, 2014 at 15:16

2 Answers 2

• I'm guessing this is the correct answer because yotsuba says something good about janbo, and her father adds something else good about him (doing the work of 2)
    – Daniel
    Oct 27, 2014 at 15:00

“しな” = 接続助詞 “し” + 終助詞 “な”

“Aするしな。” implies something happens because of A. Your example implies “Because ジャンボ works instead of someone (father?), he doesn’t have to work.”

This is actually the correct answer in context, I believe. In a previous panel, they are discussing that somebody else didn't show up to help with the work, so Yotsuba's father is actually saying "Oh well, I guess Jumbo will do two people's work (because of Yanda not showing up)"
    – Foogod
    Nov 23, 2019 at 22:45

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .