In the manga Yotsubato, the main character Yotsuba's father says 「ジャンボが二人分働くしな」. I understand the sentence as a whole, I think, but I don't understand the しな at the end.

Here's the full dialogue:

よつば:ジャンボ、しばらく見ないうちにまた大きくなった!
ジャンボ:お?どこでおぼえたそのセリフ
お父さん:まあいいか。ジャンボが二人分働くしな

Do you think you could ask your ~てくれ question separately? We'd like to keep things to one question per question here on Stack Exchange. – snailcar Oct 27 '14 at 15:04
  • I'll just remove it as it's already been answered. – Daniel Oct 27 '14 at 15:08
  • Who or what is よつば? Are they really relevant to the question? Please edit the title to indicate what you're actually asking about. – istrasci Oct 27 '14 at 15:16
  • I'm guessing this is the correct answer because yotsuba says something good about janbo, and her father adds something else good about him (doing the work of 2) – Daniel Oct 27 '14 at 15:00

“しな” = 接続助詞 “し” + 終助詞 “な”

“Aするしな。” implies something happens because of A. Your example implies “Because ジャンボ works instead of someone (father?), he doesn’t have to work.”

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.